Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Saint-Jean-Port-Joli in L'Islet MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre

History of the Stone Pillar Lighthouse

 
 
Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
1. Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre Marker
The silhouette of the island and lighthouse can be seen in the distance just above the top left of the marker
Inscription.  

Caractéristiques de l'île du Pilier de Pierre
L'île du Pilier de Pierre mesure 546 m par 61 m. Elle est située à 4,9 km de la côte. 1 Sur les premières cartes marines britanniques, cet îlot rocheux s'appelait South Pilar (Piler Sud).

La tour actuelle fut érigée en 1843 « pour remplacer un vieux phare de bois que la mer avait partiellement emporté et qui avait été élevé bien auparavant par on ne sait plus qui, on ne sait plus quand. Les archives ne le rapportent pas. Tout ce qu'on sait, c'est que ses gardiens étaient écossais ou irlandais ». 2 Ce phare de bois était situé au sud-est du phare actuel. Son emplacement est encore visible aujourd'hui par un trou d'eau circulaire sur le rocher. Le Pilier de Pierre est donc l'un des premiers emplacements, avec le phare encore intact de l'île Verte (1809), où fut construit un phare pour l'aide à la navigation sur le Saint-Laurent.

1. Mesure 1800 pieds par 200 pieds et est située à 4 milles de la côte.
2. Tiré de La Patrie du dimanche 4 juin 1950, par Jacques Trépanier.

Caractéristiques

Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
2. Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre Marker
The nearest marker
du phare du Pilier de Pierre
La construction du phare a été commandée par la Corporation de la Maison de la Trinité de Québec, créée en 1805 pour régir la navigation sur le fleuve.

Sa lourde masse circulaire est construite en pierres grises bien taillées, apportées d'Angleterre, préparées et ajustées, prêtes à être mises en place. Cette tour fut dessinée par l'ingénieur Charles Atherton dans la tradition des constructions anglaises de ce type. Ses principales qualités architecturales sont la simplicité, la rigueur et l'élégance.

La tour mesure 18,3 m de hauteur, sa largeur à la base est de 4,57 m et de 3,66 m au sommet de sa maçonnerie. Elle s'élève sur quatre étages et son sommet est situé à 38,1 m au-dessus du niveau de la mer. 3 La lumière à réflecteurs tournants a scintillé pour la première fois le 28 septembre 1843.

3. Mesure 60 pieds de haut, 15 pieds de large à la base, 12 pieds de large au sommet de la maçonnerie et 125 pieds au dessus du niveau de la mer.

Logement des gardiens :
• 1843 - 1862 : Les gardiens demeurent dans la tour

• 1862 - 1870 : Première maison en briques, détruite par le feu

• 1870 - 1911 : Deuxième maison en bois, brûlée le 11 juillet 4

• 1911 - 1913 : Troisième maison en bois, brûlée le 16 juillet 4

• 1913 - 1955 : Quatrième maison en bois, brûlée le 20 novembre 4

• 1955 - 1960 : Antonio Bourgault demeure dans une petite remise 5

• 1960 : Fin du gardiennage

4. Notes personnelles de M. Eugène Leclerc.
5. Notes personnelles de M. Pierre-Yves Bourgault.

Les gardiens du phare de bois
Le 5 juin 1827, M. Jean-Baptiste Bernier de L'Islet sollicite le poste de gardien du phare qui sera construit sur le South Pilar (ce qui en confirme l'existence). 8

avant 1843 : M. Hall et M. Ross de Québec
avant 1843 : M. Smith.

Les gardiens du phare de pierre
1843 - 1854 : Charles Julyan 7
1854 - 1859 : Thomas Roche 7
1859 - 1862 : Henry Harding 8
1862 - 1863 : D. Vaughan 8
1863 - 1874 : Damase Babin 9
1874 - 1901 : Louis-Damase Babin (fils de Damase)
1901 - 1912 : Georges-Octave Leclerc
1912 - 1922 : Eugène Leclerc (fondateur des Bateaux Leclerc)
1922 - 1926 : Joseph-Francis Giasson
1926 - 1960 : Antonio Bourgault (dernier gardien)

6. Cette figure de proue aurait été trouvée sur la berge de l'île et installée au Pilier de Pierre par le gardien de phare Damase Babin après le naufrage d'un bateau étranger sur les récifs de l'île aux Oies. Propriété de Monsieur Pierre-Yves Bourgault, petit-fils du dernier gardien. Exposée au Musée maritime du Québec à L'Islet.

7. Extrait de "Gardien de phare dans le Saint-Laurent : un métier disparu" de Normand Lafrenière, 1996.

8. Archives de la Maison de la Trinité au Port de Québec (consultées le 23 mars 2006).

9. Tiré d'un article de L'Action Catholique de Québec, dimanche le 10 octobre 1937.

[Légende des illustrations lues]

1843 Phare du Pilier de Pierre

1895 Phare et maison du gardien

1945 Vue du sud-est

1945 Vue du nord-ouest

1945 Rampe avec rails pour charges lourdes
[Figure du proue, répertorié comme « 6 », est vu sur cette photo]

1995 Vue aérienne

[English translation]

Characteristics of Stone Pillar Island
Stone Pillar Island is 546m by 61m. It is located 4.9 km from the coast. 1 On the first British charts, this rocky island was called South Pilar (South Piler).

The current tower was erected in 1843 "to replace an old wooden lighthouse that the sea had partially won and which had been raised well before by no one knows who, we do not know when. The archives do not report it. All we know is that his guardians were Scottish or Irish". 2 This lighthouse was located southeast of the current lighthouse. Its location is still visible today by a circular water hole on the rock. The Stone Pillar is one of the first sites, with the still intact lighthouse on Île Verte (1809), where a lighthouse was built to aid navigation on the St. Lawrence.

1. Measures 1800 feet by 200 feet and is located 4 miles off the coast.
2. From The Homeland of Sunday, June 4, 1950, by Jacques Trépanier.

Characteristics of the Stone Pillar Lighthouse
The construction of the lighthouse was commissioned by the Corporation of the House of the Trinity of Quebec, created in 1805 to govern the navigation on the river.

Its heavy circular mass is built of well carved gray stones, brought from England, prepared and adjusted, ready to be put in place. This tower was designed by the engineer Charles Atherton in the tradition of English constructions of this type. Its main architectural qualities are simplicity, rigor and elegance.

The tower measures 18.3 m in height, its width at the base is 4.57 m and 3.66 m at the top of its masonry. It rises four stories and its summit is 38.1 m above sea level. 3 The rotating reflector light first glittered on September 28, 1843.

3. Measures 60 feet high, 15 feet wide at the base, 12 feet wide at the top of the masonry and 125 feet above sea level.

Lighthouse Keepers' housing:
• 1843 - 1862: The keepers remain in the tower

• 1862 - 1870: First brick house, destroyed by fire

• 1870 - 1911: Second wooden house, burned on July 11, 4

• 1911 - 1913: Third wooden house, burned on July 16, 4

• 1913 - 1955: Fourth wooden house, burned on November 20th 4

• 1955 - 1960: Antonio Bourgault remains in a small shed 5

• 1960: End of lighthouse keeping

4. Personal notes of Mr. Eugene Leclerc.
5. Personal notes of Mr. Pierre-Yves Bourgault.

The Lighthouse Keepers
On June 5, 1827, Jean-Baptiste Bernier of L'Islet applied for the position of keeper of the lighthouse that will be built on the South Pilar (which confirms its existence). 8

before 1843: Mr. Hall and Mr. Ross from Quebec City
before 1843: Mr. Smith.

The Stone Lighthouse Keepers
1843 - 1854 : Charles Julyan 7
1854 - 1859 : Thomas Roche 7
1859 - 1862 : Henry Harding 8
1862 - 1863 : D. Vaughan 8
1863 - 1874 : Damase Babin 9
1874 - 1901 : Louis-Damase Babin (Damase's son)
1901 - 1912 : Georges-Octave Leclerc
1912 - 1922 : Eugène Leclerc (founder of Leclerc Ship Models)
1922 - 1926 : Joseph-Francis Giasson
1926 - 1960 : Antonio Bourgault (last keeper)

6. This figurehead would have been found on the bank of the island and installed at the Pillar of Stone by the lighthouse keeper Damase Babin after the sinking of a foreign boat on the reefs of Aux Oies Island. Property of Mr. Pierre-Yves Bourgault, grandson of the last guardian. Exhibited at the Maritime Museum of Quebec in L'Islet.

7. Excerpt from "Lighthouse Keeper in the St. Lawrence: A Lost Occupation" by Normand Lafrenière, 1996.

8. Archives of the Maison de la Trinité at the Port of Quebec (accessed March 23, 2006).

9. From an article by L'Action Catholique de Québec, Sunday, October 10, 1937.

[Illustration captions read]
1843
Stone Pillar Lighthouse

1895 Lighthouse and Keeper's House

1945 Southeastern view

1945 Northwestern view

1945 Rampe avec rails pour charges lourdes
[Bow Figure, listed as "6", is seen in this photo]

1995 Aerial view
 
Erected 2006 by Les amis de Port-Joli, le musée maritime du Québec, et al.
 
Location. 47° 10.812′ N, 70° 18.257′ W. Marker is near Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec, in L'Islet MRC. Marker is on avenue de Gaspé Ouest (Quebec Route 132) 3 kilometers south of route des Bourgault, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Parc Halte des Piliers, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec G0R 3G0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon (a few steps from this marker); Historique des phares à la Traverse de Saint-Roch (a few steps from this marker); Beaumont-la-Ronce et Anse de Nouzilly (within shouting distance of this marker); Église de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Place de l'Église (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Hommages à la Congrégation des Soeurs de Saint-Joseph de Saint-Vallier (approx. 4.8 kilometers away); Les Trois Berets / The Three Berets (approx. 4.8 kilometers away); Les Anciens Canadiens / The Canadians of Old (approx. 4.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pilier de Pierre Lighthouse. (Submitted on September 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Eugene Leclerc Ship Models: Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec. (Submitted on September 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement