Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princeton in Caldwell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Prince, 1752-1810 / Founder of Princeton

 
 
William Prince, 1752-1810 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2018
1. William Prince, 1752-1810 Marker
Inscription.
William Prince
1752-1810

Born in Virginia, his family moved to Spartanburg Co., S.C. in 1768. During the Revolutionary War, he served as captain in Col. Benjamin Roebuck’s S.C. Spartan regiment. After completing his military duty, he led a party of family & friends through Cumberland Gap. In 1782, they settled on Red River in Tenn.
Presented by Prince Family

Founder of Princeton

In 1797, Prince explored area in Ky. called Eddy Grove, on Eddy Creek. He found a large spring and fertile land. He moved his family to Kentucky the next year. Prince’s Town was established in 1805. After his death, his widow gave 50 acres on which the first courthouse was built. The town later became known as Princeton.
Caldwell Co. Historical Society

 
Erected 2010 by the Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2330.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 37° 6.526′ N, 87° 52.833′ W. Marker is in Princeton, Kentucky, in Caldwell County. Marker is
Founder of Princeton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2018
2. Founder of Princeton Marker
at the intersection of North Franklin Street and East Market Street, on the right when traveling north on North Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 199 North Franklin Street, Princeton KY 42445, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shandy Hall (Princeton) (within shouting distance of this marker); County Named, 1809 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courthouse Burned (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Shandy Hall (Princeton) (about 500 feet away); Trail of Tears (about 500 feet away); Black Patch War (about 500 feet away); Ogden Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Princeton First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker (on right) located at the City Hall & Tourism Center building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2018
3. Marker (on right) located at the City Hall & Tourism Center building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement