Wolsey in Beadle County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Wolsey: A Crossroad of the Heartland / Wolsey Notables
Wolsey: A Crossroad of the Heartland
Wolsey has been a crossroad of the heartland of South Dakota from its beginnings. In 1880 the Dakota Central Railway, a subsidiary of the Chicago & North Western, laid track following a wagon trail called the Black and Yellow Trail, now US Highway 14. This trail was so named because it led to the Black Hills and Yellowstone Country from Chicago. In 1883 Wolsey was platted by Magdalen Mosher who acquired the land from the railroad. Within two years the Chicago and Milwaukee RR, following what is now US Highway 281, laid track at the NW edge of Wolsey called the "Y" junction. Richard Sears, who later started the Sears & Roebuck Company, was a depot agent in Wolsey for the C&NWRR. In 1890, Wolsey was in the running for state capital with railroad lands being the basis for its campaign. The opening of the Kaneb Pipe Line terminal in 1964 made Wolsey a hub for gas-hauling companies. SD Wheat Growers grain terminal and Farmers Plant Food fertilizer storage facility along the BNSFRR continue to keep Wolsey a crossroad of the Heartland in the 21st Century.
Adolph Friese - moved to Wolsey in 1885. He invented a machine to make cement blocks and erected the Friese Hardware Store. Adolph and his wife were instrumental in starting Wolsey Park.
Joseph Teply - came to Wolsey in 1909 where he managed the Hanskutt Lumber Company for 55 years.
W.W. Howes - began practicing law in Wolsey in 1912. He ran for Governor of South Dakota in 1920 and was First Assistant Postmaster General of the United States. Due to his efforts to secure commercial air service for South Dakota the Huron Airport is named for him.
Rev. F.W. Leyhe - arrived in Wolsey in 1895 and served St. Johnís Lutheran Church for almost 54 years. He spent 22 years traveling by horse and buggy to churches throughout the area.
Richard Haeder Sr. - began farming near Wolsey in 1938. He campaigned for grasshopper eradication and rural electrification. In 1946 he was Democratic Nominee for Governor of South Dakota.
Dr. M.E. Cogswell - moved to Wolsey in 1907 where he practiced medicine and delivered more than 1500 babies over 53 years.
Erected 2006 by State of South Dakota. (Marker Number 694.)
Location. 44° 24.517′ N, 98° 28.485′ W. Marker is in Wolsey, South Dakota, in Beadle County. Marker is on Commercial Avenue (U.S. 14) south of Cardinal Street, on the left Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the east side of Commercial Avenue, near the southwest corner of Wolsey Park. Marker is in this post office area: Wolsey SD 57384, United States of America.
Also see . . . Wolsey, South Dakota. The first settlement at Wolsey was made in 1882. A post office has been in operation in Wolsey since 1883, the same year the town was platted. The township was organized the following year, in 1884. The town of Wolsey was named for Thomas Wolsey, an English cardinal. Richard Warren Sears, founder of Sears, Roebuck, and Co, began his retail sales career by selling unclaimed watches while serving as a station agent for the railroad in Wolsey in the early 1880s. (Submitted on September 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.