Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Saint-Jean-Port-Joli in L'Islet MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon

History of the Roche à Veillon Lighthouse

 
 
Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
1. Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon Marker
Inscription.  

Le 1er juin 1857, peu après minuit, le paquebot le Canadian, qui avait quitté Liverpool le 20 mai avec 117 passagers de première classe et 250 immigrants, s'empale par un temps clair et une mer calme sur l'Algernon Rock (appellée plus tard Roche à Veillon par la population).

Dix-neuf ans après ce naufrage, soit en 1876, on érige un phare sur l'Algernon Rock.

Construction carrée, en bois, peinte en blanc et surmontée d'une lanterne à toit rouge. Elle est placée sur une jetée (cage de pierre et de bois) peinte en noir. Sa lumière est blanche et fixe.

Le phare, détruit par un incendie, est reconstruit en 1905 sur une jetée de ciment construite par-dessus la vieille jetée de bois.

1914 : deuxième incendie et reconstruction du phare.

1928 : fin de la présence de gardiens à la Roche à Veillon.

Dans un avenir pas si lointain, il ne restera rien sur ce rocher, sauf cette plaque pour perpétuer son histoire.

[Image et légende en haut à gauche]
1857 Paquebot le "Canadian" sur l'Algernon Rock

Le Canadian est le premier vapeur de la Montreal Ocean Steam Ship

Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
2. Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon Marker
Looking NW across the Saint Lawrence River
Company, fondée en 1854 par la famille Allan. C'est aussi le premier paquebot à hélice de l'Atlantique Nord à porter deux cheminées.

Caractéristiques du paquebot :
Lancement : 13 juillet 1854
Longueur : 84 m / 227'
Largeur : 10 m / 33'
Tonnage : 16 405 kg / 1764 t
Matériau : coque en acier

[Petite légende d'image gauche lit]
Pli préaffranchi émis par Postes Canada en 1988 en souvenir du "Canadian"

1876 Phare sur l'Algernon Rock

Les différents noms connus de ce rocher :
Sur les premières cartes britanniques :
Algernon Rock.

Les marins canadiens la surnomment :
Roche d'Avignon.

Puisque le gardien s'appelait Veilleux, plusieurs personnes surnommaient la roche :
Le phare à Veilleux.

Vu le danger, les marins disaient "Il faut veiller la roche" d'où le nom de : Roche à Veillon.

1905 Phare rénové sur l'Algernon Rock
[Légende d'image en bas à gauche]

Cette photo a été prise à marée basse. On distingue la marque du niveau de la marée haute sur la base de ciment. Avant la construction de cette cage, le rocher était submergé à marée haute, d'où l'immense danger pour la navigation du temps.

Les gardiens :
Trois gardiens seulement ont bravé la solitude de ce rocher :
1876-1899 : M. Veilleux de Québec 1
1899-1903 : M. Duval 1
1903-1928 : M. Octave Lablanc de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli

Les gardiens de la Roche à Veillon étaient sous la responsabilité du gardien du Pilier de Pierre.

1. Notes personnelles d'Antonio Bourgault, dernier gardien du Pilier de Pierre.

2005 Vestige de la Roche à Veillon
Après 1928, on érige une tour métallique pour supporter une lumière à gaz blanche et fixe. Dans les années 50, on remplace la lumière de la Roche à Veillon par une bouée rouge au sud-ouest de celle-ci. On peut l'apercevoir chaque année d'avril à novembre.

En 2006, les vestiges de la structure étaient encore visibles.

[English translation]

On June 1, 1857, shortly after midnight, the liner Canadian, which had left Liverpool on May 20 with 117 first-class passengers and 250 immigrants, on a clear night and a calm sea impaled on the Algernon Rock (later called Roche to Veillon by the population).

In 1876, nineteen years after this sinking, a lighthouse was erected on Algernon Rock.

It was square in construction, wood painted white, and surmounted by a lantern with red roof. It was placed on a black painted pier (a cage of stone and wood). Its light was white and fixed.

The lighthouse, destroyed by fire, was rebuilt in 1905 on a cement jetty built over the old wooden pier.

1914: Second fire and reconstruction of the lighthouse.

1928: end of the keepers' presence at Roche à Veillon.

In the not too distant future, nothing will be left of this rock except this plaque to perpetuate its history.

[Top left image and caption]
1857 Passenger Ship "Canadian" on Algernon Rock

The Canadian was the first steamer of the Montreal Ocean Steam Ship Company, founded in 1854 by the Allan family. It was also the first propeller ship in the North Atlantic to carry two chimneys.

Features of the liner:
Launching: July 13, 1854
Length: 84m / 227'
Width: 10m / 33'
Tonnage: 16,405 kg / 1764 t
Material: steel shell

[Small left image caption reads]
Postage-paid letter from Canada Post in 1988 in memory of the "Canadian"

1876 Lighthouse on the Rock Algernon

The different known names of this rock:

On the first British maps:
Algernon Rock.

Canadian sailors called her:
Roche d'Avignon.

Since the keepers were called Veilleux, several people called the rock:
The Veilleux lighthouse.

Given the danger, the sailors said "We must watch the rock" hence the name: Roche Veillon.

1905 Renovated lighthouse on Algernon Rock
[Bottom left image caption reads]

This picture was taken at low tide. The mark is distinguished from the high tide level on the cement base. Before the construction of this cage, the rock was submerged at high tide, hence the immense danger for navigation.

The Keepers:
Only three keepers braved the loneliness of this rock:

1876-1899: Mr. Veilleux of Quebec City 1
1899-1903: M. Duval 1
1903-1928: Mr. Octave Lablanc of Saint-Jean-Port-Joli

The keepers of Roche à Veillon were under the responsibility of the Stone Pillar Lighthouse keeper.

1. Personal notes of Antonio Bourgault, last Stone Pillar Lighthouse keeper.

2005 Vestige of the Roche à Veillon Lighthouse
After 1928, a metal tower was erected to support a white, fixed gas light. In the 50s, the Roche à Veillon Light was replaced by a red buoy to the southwest of it. It can be seen every year from April to November.

In 2006, the remains of the structure were still visible.
 
Erected 2006 by Les amis de Port-Joli, le musée maritime du Québec, et al.
 
Location. 47° 10.815′ N, 70° 18.252′ W. Marker is near Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec, in L'Islet MRC. Marker is on avenue de Gaspé Ouest (Quebec Route 132) 3 kilometers south of route des Bourgault, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Parc Halte des Piliers, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec G0R 3G0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historique des phares à la Traverse de Saint-Roch (here, next to this marker); Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre (a few steps from this marker); Beaumont-la-Ronce et Anse de Nouzilly (within shouting distance of this marker); Église de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Place de l'Église (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Hommages à la Congrégation des Soeurs de Saint-Joseph de Saint-Vallier (approx. 4.8 kilometers away); Les Trois Berets / The Three Berets (approx. 4.8 kilometers away); Les Anciens Canadiens / The Canadians of Old (approx. 4.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli.
 
Also see . . .
1. Disparition de la base du phare de la Roche-à-Veillon (2014). (Submitted on September 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. La structure d'un phare emportée par la tempête (2015). (Submitted on September 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Roche à Veillon Light. (Submitted on September 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsDisastersMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement