De Smet in Kingsbury County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Kingsbury County Courthouse
De Smet was platted in 1880. On November 2, of that year, De Smet was chosen as the county seat of Kingsbury County. The deed for the present courthouse site was received from Mr. and Mrs. Albert Keep on May 30, 1882.
The final decision for building a courthouse was made in April of 1888. The east wing was not to exceed the cost of $4,000. On April 5, 1892, initiation for building the west wing was introduced. It wasn't until January 1898 that M. E. Bush was awarded the contract to build an addition. In January of 1899 the new courthouse was opened for business.
Flowers and trees were planted and curved walkways were added to the grounds. The carriage drive-through was used by many horses and buggies.
In 1982, while the courthouse was being restored, six complete court cases were found in the basement vault, and all were in the handwriting of Charles P. Ingalls, dating from 1883 to 1884. C. P. Ingalls served as Justice of the Peace for the young community of De Smet during those years.
Location. 44° 23.186′ N, 97° 32.791′ W. Marker is in De Smet, South Dakota, Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, near the front entrance from Joliet Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 2nd Street SE, De Smet SD 57231, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingsbury County, S.D. (a few steps from this marker); Waters Land & Loan Company (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Couse Hardware (about 700 feet away); De Smet Forest / De Smet (approx. 1.2 miles away); Harvey Dunn, N.A. (approx. 8.4 miles away); KELO-Land Centennial Gold Rush (approx. 8.4 miles away); Harvy Dunn and Grace Ingalls Dow (approx. 8.7 miles away); Manchester (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in De Smet.
Regarding Kingsbury County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places (1977)
Also see . . .
1. Kingsbury County Courthouse. In April 1981, Rysavy Hartman Associates began a phased restoration/renovation of the courthouse. New “old style” doors and door frames were placed in both parts of the building. Wood moldings and trim have been duplicated throughout the facility to maintain historic significance. (Submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Original National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. The Kingsbury County Courthouse in De Smet, South Dakota is a two and one-half story Renaissance Revival Style building with a cupola. A balustrade surrounds the cupola and extends out onto the top of the roof. Supporting the brick walls is a cut stone foundation. Asphalt shingles cover the roof. Fenestration varies from multi-pane round headed windows in the cupola to half-round windows in the gable's end and rectangular double hung windows on the rest of the building. The first floor windows have shaped, decorated lintels while the second floor has rectangular openings with decorated windows. All of the windows have concrete lug sills. Modillions encircle the building under the cornice. A one-story flat roofed open porch appears on the front (west) facade. The courthouse occupies all of block seven in the First Railroad Addition of De Smet. Still serving Kingsbury County as a courthouse, it remains in good condition. (Submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.