Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Darlington in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Conowingo

 
 
Conowingo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 23, 2007
1. Conowingo Marker
Inscription. An Indian name meaning “at the falls.” Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River in 1608, to the head of tidewater. He named the first rapids “Smiths Falls.”
 
Erected 1930 by Historical Society of Harford County, Md.
 
Location. 39° 39.308′ N, 76° 10.8′ W. Marker is near Darlington, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Conowingo Road (U.S. 1) 0.2 miles south of Shuresville Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington MD 21034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (was approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal (approx. 1.6 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
 
Also see . . .  Bird Watching at Conowingo Dam Site. Guide by Rick Bloom on The Harford Bird Club website. (Submitted on June 23, 2007.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraLandmarksNatural FeaturesNotable PersonsWaterways & Vessels
 
Conowingo Dam image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 23, 2007
2. Conowingo Dam
Smiths Rapids are no longer visible having been replaced with Conowingo Dam, the final dam on the Susquehanna River before it enters the Chesapeake Bay.
Section of an ancient map by John Smith image. Click for full size.
3. Section of an ancient map by John Smith
Explorer Captain John Smith drew a map of Virginia, and the Chesapeake Bay, in 1612. This is a piece of that map showing Smyth's Falls (mentioned on this marker) It is the X on the right margin at center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,441 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement