Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint-Jean-Port-Joli in L'Islet MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Place de l'Église

 
 
Place de l'Église Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
1. Place de l'Église Marker
Inscription.  

Le presbytère de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli

[Légende] Le presbytère de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli avant 1908
2, place de l'Église

Le vieux presbytère érigé en 1779 était devenu vétuste et impossible à réparer. L'architecte Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy dressa les plans d'un nouveau bâtiment d'inspiration américaine, de 46 pieds de longueur et 34 pieds de profondeur, qui fut construit sur le même emplacement en 1872. Au nombre des curés qui l'habitèrent durant les plus longues périodes, notons les curés Lachance, Fleury, Morneau et Bernier. L'intérieur du presbytère fut rénové en 1966.

La maison Théophile-Bélanger

[Légende] La première Coop La Paix
4, place de l'Église

Que la maison du 4 de la place de l'Église, construite vers 1885 pour servir de fromagerie, soit devenue au fil du temps la propriété ou la résidence d'un commerçant de chevaux de Beaverville, « aux Illinois », puis celle d'un sénateur de Saint-Césaire avant de passer aux mains, entre autres, d'un chapelain, d'un pilote, d'un chapelière, de la coopérative d'alimentation La Paix,

Place de l'Église Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
2. Place de l'Église Marker
Le presbytère de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli in background
d'un chanoine, d'un médecin et de sa femme atteste du grand intérêt qu'a toujours suscité cette « belle d'autrefois » toujours vivante.

Le couvent de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli

[Légende] Le couvent 1903
5, place d l'Église

Le couvent de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli fut bâti en 1903 d'après des plans de l'architecte Charles Bernier. Les premières enseignantes furent des sœurs françaises de la congrégation de Saint-Joseph de Saint-Vallier. Elles enseignaient alors à une centaine d'enfants de moins de 14 ans, filles et garçons, mais dans des classes séparées. Le couvent fut démoli en 1972, au profit de la nouvelle école Saint-Jean, construite tout près au nord en 1960. La première implantation de cette congrégation au Canada prit fin quand les dernières soeur quittèrent Saint-Jean-Port-Joli en 2007.

Le Centre paroissial

[Légende] Salle paroissiale de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli
7, place d l'Église

Le Centre paroissial a été construit en 1948-1949 pour servir de lieu de loisirs. Dans les premières décennies, on y trouvait une salle de théâtre (qui servait aussi pour le cinéma), des allées de quilles, une bibliothèque et des locaux pour divers organismes paroissiaux comme le Cercle des fermières. Plus tard, les quilles ont fait place à une plus grande bibliothèque, et la salle de théâtre a été rénovée pour plus de polyvalance. Aujourd'hui, le Centre paroissial abrite aussi les bureaux de la municipalité et la salle de son conseil.

[English translation]

The Saint-Jean-Port-Joli Church Rectory

[Caption] The Saint-Jean-Port-Joli church rectory before 1908
2, place de l'Église

The old rectory erected in 1779 had become obsolete and impossible to repair. The architect Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy drew up plans for a new American-style building, 46 feet long and 34 feet deep, which was built on the same site in 1872. Among the parish priests who lived there during the longest periods were priests Lachance, Fleury, Morneau and Bernier. The interior of the rectory was renovated in 1966.

Théophile-Bélanger House

[Caption] The first La Paix Cooperative
4, place de l'Église

That the house at 4 place de l'Église, built around 1885 to serve as a cheese factory, became over time the property or the residence of a horse trader from Beaverville, "in Illinois," then that of a senator from Saint-Césaire before passing into the hands of, among others, a chaplain, a pilot, a hatwoman, the La Paix food cooperative, a canon, and a doctor and a his wife, attests that the great interest that has always surrounded this "old beauty" is still alive.

The Saint-Jean-Port-Joli Convent

[Caption] The Convent 1903
5, place de l'Église

The Saint-Jean-Port-Joli Convent was built in 1903 according to the plans of architect Charles Bernier. The first teachers were French Sisters of the Congregation of St. Joseph de Saint-Vallier. They taught about a hundred children under 14, girls and boys, but in separate classes. The convent was demolished in 1972 for the benefit of the new École Saint-Jean, built nearby to the north in 1960. The first settlement of this congregation in Canada ended when the last Sister left Saint-Jean-Port-Joli in 2007.

The Parish Center

[Caption] Saint-Jean-Port-Joli Parish Hall
7, place de l'Église

The Parish Center was built in 1948-1949 to serve as a recreation area. In the early decades, there was a theater (which was also used for film), bowling lanes, a library and space for various parish organizations such as the Circle of Farmers. Later, the bowling alley was replaced by a larger library, and the theater was renovated for more versatility. Today, the Parish Center also houses offices for the municipality and council.
 
Erected by Art & Sculpture Saint-Jean-Port-Joli et Culture et des Communications Québec.
 
Location. 47° 12.948′ N, 70° 16.193′ W. Marker is in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec, in L'Islet MRC. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Place de l'église, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec G0R 3G0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Église de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli (within shouting distance of this marker); Hommages à la Congrégation des Soeurs de Saint-Joseph de Saint-Vallier (within shouting distance of this marker); Les Trois Berets / The Three Berets (within shouting distance of this marker); Les Anciens Canadiens / The Canadians of Old (within shouting distance of this marker); Centre Municipal de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli Municipal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Historique des phares à la Traverse de Saint-Roch (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre (approx. 4.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli.
 
Also see . . .
1. Église de Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. (Submitted on October 1, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Dans l'esprit du lieu, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. (Submitted on October 1, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement