Midland in Haakon County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Town of Midland
In 1889 South Dakota was admitted to the union and western South Dakota was opened for settlement. The next year surveying was conducted throughout the summer and the town of Midland, named for its location halfway between the Missouri and the South Fork of Cheyenne River, was established.
Construction started in 1890 when J.C. “Charlie” Russell hauled a load of supplies from Pierre and built the first store in Midland. Also built that year was a hotel and restaurant operated by Addie Avenell. Charles Baker was sworn in as first Postmaster. Charlie Russell later served as Postmaster for 21 years.
The first wedding took place in 1895 when Charlie Russell married Emily Hallís daughter, Jennie. Their daughter, Grace, was the first born child in Midland and the first of two high school graduates. Several businesses opened in 1904 including a livery stable, the “Western Star” newspaper, and a small furniture and undertaking store.
In 1905 Christopher Hellekson built a grocery store in east Midland and moved it the following year to the present town site operating it until his death in 1916. Also built in 1905 in east Midland and later moved to the present town site was the Bastion Roundhouse. In 1939, owners John and Violet Stroppel added an artesian well for hot
The Midland State Bank opened in 1908 but closed January 8, 1932. A new schoolhouse was built on the hill in 1909 and opened for classes in 1910. The Bank of Midland opened in 1909 in a new building constructed of Stanley County brick and Black Hills sandstone. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In the following years many advances were made in Midland including sidewalks in 1920 (many more built as WPA projects in 1936 and 1939), electricity in 1919, a water system in 1925, a sewer system in 1947-1948, a municipal artesian well in 1960 and a second one in 1968, and a new water tank and treatment plant in 1982.
Erected 1989 by The Town of Midland and the South Dakota State Historical Society. (Marker Number 504.)
Location. 44° 4.239′ N, 101° 9.454′ W. Marker is in Midland, South Dakota, in Haakon County. Marker is on Main Street west of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the grounds of a small city park at the northwest corner of the Main Street/Bridge Street intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Midland SD 57552, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Midland Pioneer Museum (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. Marker is significantly weathered.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.