Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The tent camp was established in 1917 after efforts of local businessmen brought Gen. Leonard Wood to Macon to inspect proposed sites. The 21,480 acre site chosen included Holly Bluff, the home of writer Harry Stillwell Edwards and formerly the plantation of Col. Andrew Jackson Lane, C.S.A., father of Mrs. Edwards.
Major General F.J. Kernan became the first camp commander in August, 1917, and troop strength reached a high point of 28,960 in July, 1918. A cavalry remount depot was at nearby Mogul, and a range was at Phillips Station. The camp closed in April, 1919. The leased site was returned to its owners, and part later became Herbert Smart Airport.
In 1940 Camp Wheeler was re-opened on 14,394 acres of the original site and was used as a training camp until December 1943. Colonel A.R. Emery was the first camp commander. Troop capacity was 25,890. A 1,000 bed hospital and a prisoner-of-war camp were included in the new camp. Solders trained during 1941-43 totaled 218,000.
After the war the camp was again dismantled and the leased land returned to its owners.
Erected 1987 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources and the
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 48.693′ N, 83° 32.498′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Joe Tamplin Industrial Boulevard 0.1 miles west of Riggins Mill Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Dunlap House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid (approx. 4.1 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 4.1 miles away); Battles of Dunlap Farm (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Categories. • 20th Century • Military • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,401 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on January 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.