Pierre in Hughes County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre
Hughes County Courthouse (marker side 1)
The Hughes County Courthouse was built and occupied in February 1935, to replace the original 1883 brick structure. The new Courthouse was designed by architects Hugill and Blatherwick of Sioux Falls and constructed by Henry Carlson Company of Sioux Falls at a cost of $129,410. The walls are cut South Dakota granite with Hot Springs sandstone trim.
The Fire Marshall declared the 1883 courthouse unsafe, due to its 16 heating stoves and faulty wiring. The brick building was leveled by WPA Labor. The original bricks salvaged from the courthouse were reused to line the interior walls of the 1935 courthouse. The outside concrete nameplate from the old courthouse was placed on a first floor wall of the new building.
Site of First Library in Pierre (marker side 2)
Built in 1904 with a $12,500 gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, the Library opened its doors on March 10, 1905. The Pierre Women’s Club provided the first collection of 800 books. The Neo-Classical Library built of native-cut boulders, and the small dome provided light for the reading room on the main floor. The Pierre Carnegie Library operated until 1972, when the Rawlins Library opened. The building became county offices until gutted by fire in 1995.
Erected 2001 by The Pierre Historic Preservation Commission, the Hughes County Commission, and the City of Pierre. (Marker Number 692.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 44° 22.149′ N, 100° 21.009′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker is on North Euclid Avenue (U.S. 83) south of East Prospect Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the west side of Euclid Avenue, at the north end of the courthouse parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre SD 57501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First and Only Hanging in Hughes County (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Hyde's Legacy (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Sutherland and the Capital Fights (about 800 feet away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. ¼ mile away); South Dakota State Capitol (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Pierre Was A Cowtown / Reading Brands (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierre.
Regarding Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre. Hughes County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1993).
Also see . . . Hughes County Courthouse. (This link presents a photo of the 1883 Hughes County Courthouse.)
The Hughes County Courthouse was designed in the Public Works Administration Moderne style with Art Deco features. The interior contains such details as brushed aluminum stair rails with floral motifs at the top. The rooms of the courthouse are accessed through T-shaped corridors. The fourth floor once held the jail, which is now abandoned. Although completely remodeled, the courtroom still contains the historic judge’s bench and courtroom benches. (Submitted on October 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.