St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Spanish Garden
A map of St, Simons Island made in 1739 by Capt. John Thomas, engineer in Oglethorpe`s Regiment, locates an
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 8.118′ N, 81° 23.416′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Demere Road and Ocean Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on Demere Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delegal's Fort (about 700 feet away, measured in a Fort Saint Simons (about 700 feet away); Couper's Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort St. Simons (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keepers of the Light (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early History of St. Simons Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Light House ~ 1810 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,134 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.