Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edgefield in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lynch Building

 
 
Lynch Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 10, 2008
1. Lynch Building Marker
Inscription. This is the site of W.E. Lynch & Company, a drug store form 1877 until 1969. The business was founded by William Edward Lynch (1851-1896), and continued by his wife, Kate Holstein Lynch (1854-1923), and son, W. Charlton Lynch (1882-1924) for nearly a century.

William Edward Lynch had started his business career in partnership with A.A. Clisby as early as 1872, but went out on his own in 1877. His store, like many drug stores of that age, sold groceries as well. The Lynch building was burned in the fire of 1881, but was rebuilt as two stores immediately thereafter. It again burned n the fire of 1884, and was again rebuilt.

After Dr. W.E. Lynch's death in 1896, Mrs. Lynch continued the business until her son, Dr. William Charlton Lynch, a graduate of the University of Maryland pharmacy school, was able to return and take over the business early in the 20th century. In 1920 the store again burned. Following the fire, the Lynch family built the metal building which now houses the Old Edgefield Pottery as temporary quarters until they could rebuild the building. At the same time they sold half of their frontage on the square to the People's Bank which built the adjoining building. Dr. Lynch continued to operate W.E. Lynch & Co. until his eighty-seventh year when he retired.

In 1974, following Dr. Lynch's death,
Lynch Building (104 Courthouse Square) image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 10, 2008
2. Lynch Building (104 Courthouse Square)
the building was purchased by Maurice "Bully" Rubenstein (1910-1992) who moved his family's dry goods business here. In 1987, the building was purchased by the Edgefield Civic League under the leadership of Mrs. Nancy Crocket Mims, and has been used to house the expansion of the Tompkins Library from the adjoining building.
 
Location. 33° 47.367′ N, 81° 55.75′ W. Marker is in Edgefield, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The building now houses the Old Edgefield Genealogical Society, one of the largest collections of family histories in the state. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Courthouse Square, Edgefield SC 29824, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Historic Edgefield (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Governors and Lieutenant Governors from Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jewish Merchants of Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Strom Thurmond (within shouting distance of this marker); The Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 (within shouting distance of this marker); Israel Mukashy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Turner's Country Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgefield.
 
Also see . . .
1. Edgefield Historic District. As early as 1787, the village green near Court House Square was deeded to the town of Edgefield. (Submitted on October 13, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society. The Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society is a nonprofit organization chartered as a member of the South Carolina Genealogical Society in January of 1985. (Submitted on October 13, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 919 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement