(Big Village Near The Council House)
village located on east bank of
Onondaga Creek and extending
to this site
Onondaga Indians began to
settle here after the burning
of Onondaga Village in
Frontenac's Invasion 1696
From 1720 known as Lower
Onondaga Village and the seat
of the Iroquois Confederacy
Connasatego (Black Prince),
Caghs-Wuti-Oni and Ots-Chini-Chiata
lived here. Visited by
Moravian missionaries 1745
Erected 1933 by Syracuse Chapter, S.A.R. and State of New York.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 42° 59.11′ N, 76° 8.611′ W. Marker is in Syracuse, New York, in Onondaga County. Marker is at the intersection of Salina Street (U.S. 11) and Dorwin Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Salina Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5933 South Salina Street, Syracuse NY 13205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nedrow c. 1798 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Coleman's Irish Pub (approx. 4.7 miles away); Boyne (approx. Liffey (approx. 4.7 miles away); Shannon (approx. 4.7 miles away); atLantic ocean (approx. 4.7 miles away); Scott Mulholland (approx. 4.8 miles away); Heritage Monument Founders 1997 (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Syracuse.
Also see . . . Onondaga Nation Timeline. (Submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.