Thousand Islands International Bridge
This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President of the United States. The crossing was financed and constructed by the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority, a public body created by New York State in 1933, which operates and maintains it. Five bridges of four different types — two-span continuous truss, steel arch, stone-faced concrete rigid frame, and two suspension — with approaches and connecting viaducts and highways cover a distance of about 8 miles.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 21.232′ N, 75° 58.705′ W. Marker is near Lansdowne, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 137 0.3 kilometers north of Benson Park Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on Hill Island, on the grounds of the former Ontario Tourism Office, about 150 meters north of the 1000 Islands Tower. Marker is at or near this postal address: 716 Provincial Highway 137, Lansdowne, Ontario K0E 1L0, Canada.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . .
1. Thousand Islands Bridge Authority: Our History. (Submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. "Thousand Islands Bridge opened" at CBC Archives.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Peace • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.