Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

2730-2734 Cherokee Street

Worth's Store

 
 
2730-2734 Cherokee Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, October 7, 2018
1. 2730-2734 Cherokee Street Marker
Inscription. Designed by architect O. J. Popp, 2730-34 Cherokee Street was constructed in 1921 on land purchased by Harry and Bertha Horowitz from the St. Louis Brewing Association. In 1922 Levy Shoe Store and Walter J. Wolf's ladies' clothing store became the first Occupants of the storefronts. The following year the Horowitz' sold the building to Harry Shoe Store and the Morris Variety Store, which briefly became the Julius Ginsberg Variety Store in 1939. They remained in this building until about 1950. In 1937 Levy Shoe Stores became Lee's Shoe Store, which occupied this storefront until 1963. The building is perhaps best known as one of the locations of Worth's, a woman's clothing store which opened after Lee's closed. Worth's remained in this building until 1988 when the store consolidated all of it's St. Louis city operations to the new St. Louis Centre.

Harry Bolston died in 1956, and the building was owned by his wife Elsie Bolston until her death in 1978, when the family officially sold the property to Worth's Stores. Worth's sold the property in 1986, a couple of years before officially closing their Cherokee Street store.

Architecturally, the building is noted for its unique interior and exterior alterations that occurred during the mid-twentieth century. The modern storefront was the result of a series of alterations
2730-2734 Cherokee Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, October 7, 2018
2. 2730-2734 Cherokee Street Marker
which began in 1940 by Harry Bloston following an apparent fire. In 1950 significant changes were made to the building when Worth's hired well-known St. Louis architects Ben Shapiro and Robert Tisdale to redesign the storefront. The firm of Shapiro and Tisdale worked in St. Louis from 1945-1973, and had already designed many residential buildings throughout the area. Further alterations were made to the storefront and the interior by Worth's in 1963.
 
Erected by Cherokee Station Business Association.
 
Location. 38° 35.621′ N, 90° 13.746′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on Cherokee Street west of Iowa Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2730 Cherokee Street, Saint Louis MO 63118, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 2728 Cherokee Street (here, next to this marker); 2731 Cherokee Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 3354 Iowa Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); Calle Cherokee (within shouting distance of this marker); 2701-2703 Cherokee Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 2646 Cherokee Street (about 400 feet away); 2817 Cherokee Street (about 500 feet away); 2818-2820 Cherokee Street (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWomen
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement