Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edna in Jackson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Macaroni Station

 
 
Macaroni Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2018
1. Macaroni Station Marker
Inscription.  Forerunner of town of Edna; a camp and commissary during the building of the New York, Texas & Mexican railway, 1880-1882.

Count Joseph Telfener, one of the railway investors, brought laborers from his native Italy; station was nicknamed for them.

Mrs. Lucy Flournoy in 1882 had townsite surveyed on her land here. The name "Edna" honors a daughter of Count Telfener.

The "Macaroni" line built only 92 miles before it dropped plan to extend into Mexico; even so, it aided growth in coastal Texas.

Since 1885 it has been in the Southern Pacific system.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3178.)
 
Location. 28° 58.666′ N, 96° 38.766′ W. Marker is in Edna, Texas, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Wells Street (State Highway 111) and West Houston Street, on the right when traveling south on North Wells Street. On the southeast corner of the Jackson County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edna TX 77957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Macaroni Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, March 16, 2019
2. Macaroni Station Marker
this marker. Early Jackson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson County, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederates of Jackson County (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Jackson County (about 400 feet away); La Bauve-Young-Payne Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Famous Lavaca-Navidad Meeting of 1835 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brackenridge Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edna.
 
Also see . . .
1. From the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From Texas Highways. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Part of Jackson County Texas History. Contains an article from The Galveston County News and an article from a Houston,Texas newspaper. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Jackson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2018
3. Jackson County Courthouse
Marker is on these grounds, at the end of the sidewalk walking to the left
 

More. Search the internet for Macaroni Station.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 9, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.   3. submitted on October 9, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement