Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Archaeology at Fort Pierre Chouteau
Archaeology is the study of past human cultures. It teaches us about past events and ways of life. Archaeology also reveals how people lived day-to-day and how they dealt with changes in their environment.
Excavation - the exposure, recording, and processing of archaeological remains through systematic digging - revealed much about Fort Pierre Chouteau. Dog and fish bones told researchers about diet at the fort. Builders' trenches and wood palisade remains showed where the fort's walls had been. Sawdust verified the existence of an active sawmill.
The Fort Pierre Chouteau site offered many tantalizing archaeological questions. What evidence of the fort remained? Did its size change? What materials and goods did the inhabitants use? Did those materials change over time?
Researchers also used geophysical tools - ground penetrating radar, electrical resistance meters, and magnetic gradiometers - to confirm the palisade location, reveal where buildings once stood, and identify the most likely spot for the blacksmith's shop.
Images courtesy of the South Dakota Historical Society and the National Archives.
Location. 44° 23.453′ N, 100° 23.263′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Marker can be reached from Fort Chouteau Road 0.3 miles east of State Highway 1806 when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Pierre Chouteau National Historic Landmark, at the northeast end of the walking trail from Fort Chouteau Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Fort Chouteau Road, Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Pierre Chouteau Site (here, next to this marker); Fort Pierre Chouteau: Military Occupancy (1855-1857) (here, next to this marker); Fort Pierre Choteau Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Cultures Come Together (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Pierre Chouteau: Fur Trade (1832-1855) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fur Trade on the Upper Missouri River (about 500 feet away); Fort Pierre Chouteau (about 600 feet away); John C. Waldron (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
More about this marker. Marker is a large
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Pierre Chouteau National Historic Landmark
Also see . . . Geophysical Surveys & Archaeological Insignts at Fort Pierre Chouteau Trading Post. Initial geophysical surveys (Kvamme 2007) were completed to determine the extent of the fur trading Fort, and additional surveys in August 2012 used magnetometry and electrical resistance to determine if evidence of military structures exists outside of the Fort. (Submitted on October 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Anthropology • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.