Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dickson in Dickson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Cowan Lumber Company

Dickson Planing Mill Company

 

—A.H.Leathers Manufacturing Company —

 
Cowan Lumber Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 9, 2018
1. Cowan Lumber Company Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  It is believed that this steam engine began its life of use in Dickson County here on this property by The Cowan Lumber Company. The company was established in June of 1923 and built many residential and commercial buildings (Dickson’s War Memorial Building, etc.) This property was later sold to the Dickson Planing Mill Company. They also made use of the engine and it along with all the building, stock of materials and land was sold at public auction to the A. H. Leathers Manufacturing Company on August 15, 1934. ‘Leathers’ resumed operations at this location after their original Dickson location burned on July 4, 1934. The ‘leathers’ company began in 1879 and moved to Dickson from Pennsylvania in 1898 and located between College Street and the railroad tracks near where the Old Dickson Normal College stood. The mill had employed many people over the years and made such items as baseball bats, tool handles for picks, axes, etc., and hardwood flooring. Mr. A. H. Leathers, founder, died 1932 and his children owned the company until 1955 when Harry R. Leathers, Jr. purchased the entire business. This property was purchased by the Tennsco Corporation in 1998
Cowan Lumber Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 9, 2018
2. Cowan Lumber Company Marker
and the decaying buildings of a large portion of Dickson’s early history were demolished and the preservation of this engine began.
 
Location. 36° 4.281′ N, 87° 23.208′ W. Marker is in Dickson, Tennessee, in Dickson County. Marker is at the intersection of Wade Avenue and East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north on Wade Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dickson TN 37055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II 1940-1946 (approx. ¼ mile away); World War I 1917-1919 (approx. ¼ mile away); 1950 Korean Conflict 1955/1964 Vietnam Era 1975 (approx. ¼ mile away); Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999 (approx. ¼ mile away); War Memorial Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Goad Clement (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mile Post 42 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civil War Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dickson.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement