Millersburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Music Pavilion / Gazebo
—Historic Millersburg —
The music pavilion when completed was octagonaly shaped, sixteen feet across with a height of approximately twelve feet. The total cost in 1891 was $164.52.
In September 1891 benches were taken out of the school and placed in the pavilion. Many years later they were removed and sold. Three of the benches are now in the Municipal Building.
Changes were made to the pavilion over the years, from bannister design to the roof line. It was damaged
Today the music pavilion is more commonly known as the Gazebo and is the center of many community activities.
Erected by Upper Paxton & Millersburg Historical Society.
Location. 40° 32.346′ N, 76° 57.663′ W. Marker is in Millersburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (State Highway 147) and Market Square (U.S. 209), on the right when traveling north on Market Street. Touch for map. Located in East Park in Market Square. Marker is in this post office area: Millersburg PA 17061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Millersburg Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Millersburg Ferry Dr. Reifsnyder (approx. 2.8 miles away); Holman Mercantile Store ~ Willowbrook Apartments (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Grant Morris M. D. (approx. 2.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millersburg.
More about this marker. A photo in the upper left shows the pavilion at the center of the 1907 Centennial celebration. In the lower right is a 1915 postcard showing the pavilion.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.