York in North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
St Martin-le-Grand A mainly 15th century church, pre Conquest in origin, largely destroyed by fire in the air raid in 1942. The tower was completed before 1437. The Great West Window, considered to be one of the finest early 15th century windows in the country was taken out at the beginning of the 1939-45 war and has been rehoused in the quasi-transept of the restored South aisle. It depicts St Martin of Tours with thirteen scenes from his life. The remaining old glass which survived the air raid has also been restored. The former South Aisle has been restored as a Shrine of Remembrance of the City’s fallen in two wars. The distinctive clock was first erected in its present position in 1668. It was overhauled and renovated in 1754 in 1778 it was given a new dial, and the little admiral with his sextant was placed upon it. The clock was badly damaged in the raid in 1942 and was restored and returned to its old position in 1966. The adjoining churchyard was re-paved and restored in 1968 through the initiative of York Civic trust.
Location. 53° 57.561′ N, 1° 5.059′ W. Marker is in York, England, in North Yorkshire. Marker is on Coney Street just from New Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Coney Street, York, England YO1 9QL, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. P/O Yves Mahé (here, next to this marker); The George Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mansion House (within shouting distance of this marker); Praetorian Gate (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Davygate (about 90 meters away); John Snow Memorial (about 120 meters away); John Snow (about 120 meters away); Punch Bowl (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.