West Jefferson in Madison County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
New Hampton Cemetery
Here lie the remains of the families who first settled this wilderness, including the remains of Rev. Isaac Jones, founder of the village of Jefferson. Rev. Jones also founded the Baptist Church in 1820, and was an associate judge, Court of Common Pleas, for Madison County. He died at the age of 40 yrs. on Sept. 22, 1842. On Sept. 13, 1830, he had the plat of the village of Jefferson recorded, shortly thereafter the village of New Hampton ceased to exist, as people and buildings were moved to the new town.
Erected during the Bicentennial year, A.D. 1976, by interested citizens, organizations, and township trustees.
Erected 1976 by interested citizens, organizations, and township trustees.
Location. 39° 56.418′ N, 83° 16.167′ W. Marker is in West Jefferson, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is on Cemetery Road 0.1 miles east of Lilly Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in front of Hampton Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: West Jefferson OH 43162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. New Hampton and Ludlow's Road (here, next to this marker); West Jefferson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jonathan Alder (approx. 3.8 miles away); Big Darby and Little Darby Creeks (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sunset Cemetery All Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sunset Cemetery Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 4½ miles away); Sunset Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 4½ miles away); Jack Kidwell (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Jefferson.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.