Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lovely Lane Chapel

 
 
Lovely Lane Chapel Marker, Left Panel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
1. Lovely Lane Chapel Marker, Left Panel





Inscription. [Left panel]
Constructed in 1880 by Norman Dodge, repaired in 1897 after a hurricane damaged it, the Chapel was designed by architect G.W.Laine of Atlanta. It was originally known as Union Church and later connsecrated [sic] as St. James Episcopal. In 1911 the church , no longer used for services, was de-consecrated, moved to its present location and used as a recreational center.

In 1949, the Methodists reconsecrated the chapel, naming it Lovely Lane after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore. At this time, the center alter window and two entrance windows were returned to the Methodists by Christ Church at whose rectory they had been stored. In 1953 Bishop Arthur J. Moore and the Cabinet gave the stained glass Founders Windows of John and Charles Wesley and Francis Asbury to the chapel.

Since 1949, the chapel has been used continually for worship, weddings, baptisms and meditation.

" Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations"
Psalms 90.1


[Right panel]

Lovely Lane Chapel
1774 1950

The original Lovely Lane Chapel was erected in Baltimore Maryland in 1774. There in 1784 was convened the Christmas Conference where the Methodist Church was organized
Lovely Lane Chapel Marker, Right Panel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
2. Lovely Lane Chapel Marker, Right Panel
and Francis Asbury ordained the first Methodist Bishop in America. In this conference were laid the foundations that were to carry the structure of Methodism that was to bless not only this land, but all lands.

This Chapel
Has been given the name of ...
Lovely Lane
As a memorial to those who did so much to organize the Methodist Church and in consecration to the noblest and most redemptive service that can be rendered in the name of "Jesus Christ Our Lord"
"The best of all is God is with us" John Wesley

 
Erected by Lane Chapel.
 
Location. 31° 10.32′ N, 81° 24.321′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Touch for map. North of Hamilton Road,approx. 0.2 miles away, at Epworth-By-The-Sea. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Arthur J Moore Dr, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (about 400 feet away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (about 400 feet away); Cassina Garden Club Houses
Lovely Lane Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Lovely Lane Chapel
(about 700 feet away); Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Gascoigne Bluff (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Also see . . .  From Wikipedia,The Christmas Conference. was an historic founding conference of the newly independent Methodists within the United States held just after the American Revolution at Lovely Lane Chapel in Baltimore, Maryland in 1784. (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
Lovely Lane Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
4. Lovely Lane Chapel
Constructed in 1880, repaired after a hurricane in 1897, de-consecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated and restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur J. Moore in 1950.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 982 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement