Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Early Transportation in Newark

 
 
Early Transportation in Newark Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
1. Early Transportation in Newark Marker
Inscription. During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock #9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad took over the Lockmaster's House and the encompassing land, and built the Little Red House on the corner for the stationmaster and telegraph operator. Passenger and freight stations, a freight yard, and roundhouse were constructed nearby and served as a B&O Division Point. In 1881, the Scheidler Machine Works built a factory to manufacture steam engines and sawmills. This building now houses The Works Museum. In 1890, an electric interurban railway line connected Newark's B&O Station to the Toledo & Ohio Central station in Granville. By 1908, the old canal was filled-in. Interurban service ended in 1929 when the city purchased buses.
 
Erected 2007 by The Works and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.424′ N, 82° 23.891′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County.
Early Transportation in Newark Marker Next to Times-Press Bldg image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
2. Early Transportation in Newark Marker Next to Times-Press Bldg
Marker is on 1st Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Next to The Works: Ohio Center for History, Art & Technology. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 South 1st Street, Newark OH 43055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John W. Alford Building ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building ( about 700 feet away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients ( about 700 feet away); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building ( approx. 0.2 miles away); "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence ( approx. 0.2 miles away); McCune-Stimson House ( approx. mile away); The History of Licking Memorial Hospital ( approx. half a mile away); Veteran's Park ( approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Also see . . .  The Works Technology Museum. ...Central Ohio's hands-on learning, creating, and doing place. (Submitted on October 17, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Granville Times Press Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
3. Granville Times Press Marker
Equipment and Ephemera
circa 1880-1976
Preserved and Donated by
The Hubert & Oese Robinson Foundation
(Granville Life-Style Museum)
to
The Works: Ohio Center for History Art and Technology
Dedicated
May 20, 2004
The Works Time Capsule image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
4. The Works Time Capsule
The LeFevre Foundation Administration Building
Sealed: May 18, 2008
To be opened in 100 years on the birthday of Howard E. LeFevre in recognition of his lifelong contribution to the quality of life in our community.
May 31, 2108
Old Factory Building on The Works Campus image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
5. Old Factory Building on The Works Campus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement