Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntington in Cabell County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

James River Company

 
 
James River Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 29, 2018
1. James River Company Marker
Inscription. George Washington was made president in 1785 of the James River Company. His plan of communication to the West eventually resulted in the construction of the Midland Trail, U.S. 60, and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.
 
Erected 1979 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
 
Location. 38° 25.119′ N, 82° 26.909′ W. Marker is in Huntington, West Virginia, in Cabell County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue (U.S. 60) and 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington WV 25701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War of 1812 Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Huntington (about 700 feet away); The Virginia State Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huntington Mine Rescue Car (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elk River Coal & Lumber Company #10 Steam Locomotive (approx. half a mile away); Blues & Gospel Singer (approx. half a mile away); B&O Railroad Depot / Heritage Village (approx. half a mile away); Lavinia Norman, Founder (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
 
Also see . . .
James River Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 29, 2018
2. James River Company Marker
 Wikipedia entry for James River and Kanawha Canal. “Surveyed and planned by George Washington, the canal project was begun in 1785 as the James River Company, and later restarted under the James River and Kanawha Canal Company. It was an expensive project which failed several times financially and was frequently damaged by floods. Though largely financed by the Commonwealth of Virginia through the Virginia Board of Public Works, it was only half completed by 1851, reaching Buchanan, in Botetourt County. When work to extend it further west stopped permanently, railroads were overtaking the canal as a far more productive mode of transportation.

“In the end its right-of-way was bought and the canal was largely dismantled by the new Richmond and Allegheny Railroad, which laid tracks on the former towpath. The R&A became part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in the 1890s, which developed much of the former canal route into an important line for West Virginia bituminous coal headed eastbound for the Peninsula Extension to reach the Hampton Roads coal piers at Newport News for worldwide export aboard large colliers.” (Submitted on November 8, 2018.) 
 
Categories. CommunicationsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.