Fira in Santorini, Thera Municipality, Greece — Aegean Islands (Cyclades)
Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani.
The church is of cruciform plan with dome, of Theran type. In the past, the façade and the bell-tower were decorated with western baroque motifs.
The church was owned by the family of Antonios Delendas or Krinos, whose daughter Flora, married to Nicholas F. Delendas, donated it in 1919 to the priest Nicholas F. Delendas. The latter, in his will bequeathed it to the Catholic Diocese of Thera in 1929.
The church floor once housed the family tomb.
The 1956 earthquake caused some damage to the church, but it was not destroyed.
It was repaired in 1988 and its patronal feast is celebrated on 26 November.
Location. 36° 25.257′ N, 25° 25.776′ E. Marker is in Fira, Thera Municipality, in Santorini. Marker is on Nomikou M, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fira, Thera Municipality 847 00, Greece.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santorini Cable Car (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou (approx. 0.3 kilometers away).
More about this marker. Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos is located on the footpath next to the edge of the cliff forming the caldera of Santorini.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.