Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Founded by Jerry Mahoney from Killarney, Ireland in 1851. Claim purchased from Alvinza Hayward. Merged with the Wildman Mine and reached a depth of 1200 feet. Produced $5 million in gold. Later part of Lincoln Consolidated Co.
Erected 2004 by Amador County 2004 Sesquicentennial, Sutter Creek 1854 – 2004 Promotion Committee.
Location. 38° 23.755′ N, 120° 48.156′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Gopher Flat Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the north end of the parking lot on Gopher Hill Road next to the Wildman Mine Powder House. Marker is in this post office area: Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wildman Mine (here, next to this marker); Leland Stanford, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); 134 Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); C. Soracco Company (about 600 feet away); Sutter Creek Grammar School J. Monteverde General Store Museum (about 600 feet away); Sutter Creek Sanitarium (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutter Creek.
Regarding Mahoney Mine. Also see: Wildman Mine and Emerson Shaft markers for additional information.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Events • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,863 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.