Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pasadena in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Allen Ranch

 
 
Allen Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 17, 2018
1. Allen Ranch Marker
Inscription.  This busy commercial area was once part of the Allen Ranch, one of the oldest and largest ranches in southeast Texas. A portion of the land was granted to Morris Callahan in 1824 by Mexico and inherited by his niece Rebecca Jane Thomas (d. 1919), who married Samuel William Allen (1826-1888) in 1844. Allen bought additional land, including a 1300-acre tract belonging to his friend Governor Francis R. Lubbock, and began operation of a prosperous cattle ranch. He helped organize the firm of Allen & Poole to ship cattle to eastern and foreign markets.

Samuel Ezekiel Allen (1848-1913) took over operation of the ranch from his father in 1881. He and his wife Rosa Lum (d. 1931) built a large home near the junction of Buffalo Bayou and Sims Bayou (1 mi. N). Allen was a leading Houston businessman as well as a cattleman.

At the time he died, Allen's property included 13,000 acres in Harris County and 10,000 acres in Brazoria County. In 1917, Rosa Allen sold 700 acres to the Sinclair Oil Company (now Atlantic Richfield Corporation) as a refinery site. The remaining land was later divided for industrial, commercial, and residential
Allen Ranch Marker Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 17, 2018
2. Allen Ranch Marker Wide View
use. The ranch house was moved to Galveston Bay, where it became Camp Allen of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.

Marker is the property of the State of Texas (1976)
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10591.)
 
Location. 29° 42.719′ N, 95° 13.168′ W. Marker is in Pasadena, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Richey Street and Shaw Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Richey Street. This marker has been replaced two times. Originally it was on the feeder to Highway 225 and you may still find it is located there in older databases. In its third and current life it is at the location given here. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pasadena TX 77506, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vince's Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Crown Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Capture of Santa Anna (approx. one mile away); First Airplane Flight Over Texas (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Harrisburg (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Harrisburg (approx. 3 miles away); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of Lubbock Ranch (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pasadena.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Allen Ranch.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement