Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jane Long Boarding House
During the period Texas was a colony and a republic, Jane Long operated two well-known boarding houses. She started the first in Brazoria in 1832; her guests included William B. Travis, Sam Houston, and Mirabeau B. Lamar. In 1837 Jane moved to Richmond and on this site opened another boarding house which became a center for social and political activities as well as lodging for prominent Texans and European visitors. Jane ran this hotel until her plantation
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9006.)
Location. 29° 34.995′ N, 95° 45.713′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on South 4th Street north of Morton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 Morton Street, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Courthouse Square (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M. (about 400 feet away); The McFarlane House (about 500 feet away); Constantine W. Buckley (about 500 feet away); Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (about 500 feet away); Fort Bend County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); McNabb House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Long, Jane Herbert Wilkinson - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • War, Texas Independence • Women •
More. Search the internet for Jane Long Boarding House.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.