Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dr. James F. Barnwell

 
 
Dr. James F. Barnwell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2018
1. Dr. James F. Barnwell Marker
Inscription.  James Franklin Barnwell was born on October 23, 1874 in Bowdon, Georgia. His family had a tradition of doctors, including his grandfather and three uncles. Following completion of his medical education at the University of Tennessee in 1896, Barnwell and his mother moved to Hamilton County, Texas. Later, he had additional graduate surgery courses at the University of Chicago and Tulane University in New Orleans. He passed the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners on July 27, 1898.

Dr. Barnwell arrived in Johnson City in a horse-drawn buggy in 1898. His first office was in a building west of the Blanco County Jail, consisting of his office and a room to mix medications. Dr. Barnwell built Blanco County’s first hospital on the east side of the courthouse square in 1913. His residence was on the first floor and the hospital was on the second floor. The hospital was equipped with the county’s first x-ray machine and a Delco plant to furnish electricity for better lighting.

Dr. Barnwell served Blanco County as a physician, surgeon and respected community leader. He was married to Agnes Wall with whom he had two children. Upon
Dr. James F. Barnwell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2018
2. Dr. James F. Barnwell Marker
her death, he married Irene Lewis, with whom he had one child. Irene was a nurse who worked beside her husband. Dr. Barnwell was also a member of the Johnson City School Board, president of Johnson City State Bank, and county health physician. Dr. Barnwell died on June 16, 1934 and was buried in the Johnson City Masonic Cemetery. His obituary in the Johnson City Record Courier called him a “skilled and able surgeon” who had established “one of the best small town hospitals in the Hill Country.”
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17678.)
 
Location. 30° 16.703′ N, 98° 24.649′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is on North Avenue G south of East Cypress Stret, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 North Avenue G, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Blanco County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (about 300 feet away); Dr. James Odiorne
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 400 feet away); James Polk Johnson Building (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 

More. Search the internet for Dr. James F. Barnwell.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement