Rossville in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
Formal permission by the Cherokees to open the road was granted in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee. Prior to that time the trace served as an Indian trading path to Augusta.
The earliest post office in northwest Georgia was established on this route at Rossville, on April 5, 1817 with John Ross as postmaster.
Erected 1992. (Marker Number 146-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 59.036′ N, 85° 17.182′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Chickamauga Ave (U.S. 27), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rossville GA 30741, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rossville High Alumni Veteran's Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Hooker's Column (a few steps from this Rossville Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); John Ross Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Osterhaus' Division (approx. 0.4 miles away); Iowa State Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); 27th U.S. Missouri Infantry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rossville Gap (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 880 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 19, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.