Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. James Odiorne
As doctor he went by horseback or gig, regardless of weather. Scarcity of drugs led him to use native herbs for medication; for a sedative (opium), grew and milked garden poppies. He died of burns when alcohol exploded during the compounding of medicine in his drugstore near this site.
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3671.)
Location. 30° 16.709′ N, 98° 24.728′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nugent Avenue (State Highway 356 Spur) and East Cypress Street, on the right when traveling south on North Nugent Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 North Nugent Avenue, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blanco County (about 300 feet away); James Polk Johnson Building (about 300 feet away); Dr. James F. Barnwell (about 400 feet away); 1894 Blanco County Jail (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Dr. James Odiorne.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.