Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Antioch Baptist Church
Historic Antioch Baptist Church has enjoyed a long history in Culpeper and continues to serve the community. This Church is a place of spiritual and social life and serves as a monument of religious freedom.
Antioch Baptist Church is located in the Town of Culpeper's National Register District and the Virginia Landmarks Register and
Antioch's Growth can be attributed to the following pastors:
Harrison Blair - William E. Barrett
Welsh Blair - Robert C. Davis
Samuel Toliver - Howard Anderson
Willis J. Madden - Ulysses Martin
Isadore Richards - Milton L. Branch, Sr.
Erected by Town of Culpeper.
Location. 38° 28.378′ N, 77° 59.889′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of South West Street and Culpeper Street, on the right when traveling south on South West Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 South West Street, Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mountain Run Watershed (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Gallant” Pelham’s Last Days (approx. 0.2 miles away); William "Extra Billy" Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eppa Rixey Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); The Revolutionary War (approx. ¼ mile away); Culpeper Court House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
More about this marker.
To the right of the text is a 1912 photograph at Antioch Baptist Church located at 202 S. West Street. Sunny Fountain Lodge No. 1897 and Autumn Leaf Household of Ruth No. 1556, Anniversary Service at Culpeper Virginia, May 14, 1912.
Below is a 1959 Photograph of Antioch Baptist Church congregation at worship.
Also see . . . Culpeper Historic District Nomiation. (PDF) The national register documentation includes background information on the church. (Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Church Cornerstone
The stone is partially correct. Antioch was originally started in 1859 and reorganized in 1865 after the Civil War. The Church was originally in the Mt. Pony Association, then was known as the African Church and reorganized as the Antioch Baptist Church.
We will be celebrating our 150th Anniversary in July 2009.
— Submitted May 26, 2009, by Rev. Dr. Milton L. Branch,Sr of Culpeper, Virginia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,535 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.