Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Worthington in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community

 
 
The Founding of Worthington Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. The Founding of Worthington Marker
Inscription.
The Founding of Worthington
The Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourn (Kilbourne) of Granby and Berlin, Connecticut, founded Worthington in 1803, the year that Ohio became a state. The Scioto Company was organized as a land company in 1802 with 38 original proprietors from Connecticut and Massachusetts. They purchased 16,000 acres of land along the Olentangy River for $1.25 per acre. The name Worthington was adopted in honor of Thomas Worthington, Territorial Land Commissioner, United States Senator, and future Ohio governor. He advised Kilbourn on the location for the settlement and his name provided recognition for the community.

Worthington, A Planned Community
Based on a plan adopted by Scioto Company proprietors before their arrival in Ohio, Worthington was established following the New England model. The town formed a grid pattern around a village green. Settlers were required to own at least one town lot and a rural tract for farming; some settlers were designated to operate the first tavern and sawmill. The church and school were assigned double lots on the square and tracts to farm for their support. An Episcopal Church, school, subscription library, and Masonic lodge soon followed. Within months, Worthington was a complete New England town transplanted to Ohio.
 
Erected
Worthington, A Planned Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. Worthington, A Planned Community Marker
2002 by The Worthington Women's Club and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 39-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 5.389′ N, 83° 1.092′ W. Marker is in Worthington, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (U.S. 23) and Village Green Drive NW, on the right when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is just north of the village green. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43085, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bicentennial Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Eclectic Medical College (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Fountain (about 600 feet away); Worthington Historic District (about 600 feet away); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (about 700 feet away); Worthington Masonic Museum (approx. mile away); Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Worthington.
 
Also see . . .  Worthington History and the National Register
The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community Marker
Looking south toward village green NW quadrant and State Route 161 beyond.
. (Submitted on October 20, 2008.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Village Green SE Quadrant image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
4. Village Green SE Quadrant
Looking NW toward historical marker (hidden in far center distance)
Village Green Improvement Marker, 1990 image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
5. Village Green Improvement Marker, 1990
On plaza in NW quadrant of village green, about sixty feet SSW of historical marker.
First Flight by Alfred Tibor image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
6. First Flight by Alfred Tibor
Located thirty feet SW of historical marker. Village green NE and NW quadrants in background. Tibor is a world-famous sculptor and Holocaust survivor. For more info, visit: http://www.alfredtibor.net
Worthington Public Library Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
7. Worthington Public Library Dedication Marker
About 300 feet away from the marker, placed near the entrance to the public library, is a cornerstone commemorating Worthington's founder.
In memory of James Kilbourne
Founder of Worthington Ohio 1803.
Presented to The Village of Worthington Ohio
and parts adjacent
by his granddaughter Mary Elizabeth Jones Deshler
1927
Worthington Public Library image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
8. Worthington Public Library
Dedication marker to Worthington's founder is the concrete block next to downspout at right of building entrance.
Founders of Worthington Plaque image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
9. Founders of Worthington Plaque
About 400 feet away from this marker is another plaque commemorating the founders of Worthington. This one is near the entrance to Saint John's Episcopal Church.
Founders of Worthington Plaque image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
10. Founders of Worthington Plaque
with St. John's Episcopal Church in background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 19, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   9, 10. submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement