Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1974 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 33.618′ N, 91° 23.961′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Jefferson Street west of North Rankin Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, just inside the fence, directly in front of the subject building, near the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 613 Jefferson Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Jefferson and North Rankin streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of High and North Rankin streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church 300 Block of Martin Luther King Street (about 500 feet away); Zion Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Churches in the St. Catherine Street Neighborhood (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Also see . . .
1. King’s Tavern – Natchez, Mississippi. Natchez is the first European settlement on the Mississippi River, and the King’s Tavern is reported to be the town’s first structure, a National Historic Landmark whose history dates back to the late 1700’s. Richard King built his namesake tavern from the boards of boats brought ashore by longboat shipmen. The tavern served travelers, boatmen, and the outlaws who preyed on them. In 1817 Richard King sold the tavern to a family. The building served as a private residence for 150 years until until it was sold again in 1973 and eventually re-opened as a restaurant and bar. (Submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. King's Tavern. When the British moved in and established the nearby Fort Panmure, the King's Tavern building was originally built to be a block house for the fort. As there was no saw mill near this frontier town, this building and other structures were constructed using beams taken from scrapped New Orleans sailing ships, which were brought to Natchez via mule. Another source of wood used in the King's (Submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.