Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Intersection of High and North Rankin streets
Christopher Kyle, a white Natchez merchant, probably built the Kyle House about 1820 for Nancy Kyle, a “free woman of color.” He was the father of her daughter Caroline. This is one of the few remaining examples of the small, pre-Civil War houses that were home to working-class white people and free people of color. The Historic Natchez Foundation saved the house from demolition in the 1980s.
The Cyrus Marsh House (behind you) was built in 1837. Marsh was a prosperous merchant and real estate developer. By the mid-1900s, however, the area had become run-down. In the 1990s, the Tillman family acquired and restored this and three other houses in this historic neighborhood.
The Thomas Staniforth House was built in 1854 for a Natchez builder. An 1866
Erected by City of Natchez, Mississippi.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.647′ N, 91° 23.903′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and North Rankin Street, on the right when traveling east on High Street. Marker is located along the sidewalk, near the northeast corner of the Cyrus Marsh House, at the southwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 North Rankin Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Jefferson and North Rankin streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); King's Tavern (about 300 feet away); Jefferson Street Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 500 feet away); 300 Block of Martin Luther King Street (about 500 feet away); Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets (about 500 feet away); Zion Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Churches in the St. Catherine Street Neighborhood (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
More about this marker. Marker is a large, rectangular composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high metal posts.
Also see . . . Staniforth House. Built in 1852, the Staniforth House is a classic Greek revival brick cottage. Thomas Staniforth, its builder, was a Natchez contractor/builder who lavished extra attention on what was a comparatively modest house for the time and neighborhood, probably because it served to advertise his business. Original casings highlight the large windows across the front, and fireplaces grace several rooms. (Submitted on December 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
More. Search the internet for Intersection of High and North Rankin streets.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.