Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Homer in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Major General William Starke Rosecrans / Bishop Sylvester Horton Rosecrans

 
 
Major General William Starke Rosecrans Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. Major General William Starke Rosecrans Marker
Inscription.
Major General William Starke Rosecrans
Soldier, engineer, and statesman, W.S. Rosecrans was born in Delaware County in 1819 and grew up in Homer. He graduated from West Point in 1842. During the Civil War, Rosecrans commanded the federal Army of the Cumberland. Popular with his troops, who called him "Old Rosy," he was a cautious commander and, though victorious at, Corinth, Murfreesboro, and Chattanooga, he suffered major defeat at Chickamauga in 1863. A skilled engineer, Rosecrans developed coal properties in western (now West) Virginia before the war and helped design St. Joseph's Cathedral in Columbus for his brother, Bishop Sylvester Rosecrans. Following the war he served as minister to Mexico and represented California in Congress from 1881 to 1885. He died in 1898 and is interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

Bishop Sylvester Horton Rosecrans
Sylvester Rosecrans, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus, was born in 1827 one half mile east of this site. He attended Kenyon and St. John's colleges and studied for the Roman Catholic priesthood in Cincinnati and Rome, where he was ordained in 1852. Returning to Cincinnati, he officiated at St. Thomas's church and taught in the diocesan seminary, becoming its president after it became a college in 1859. When the Diocese
Bishop Sylvester Horton Rosecrans Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. Bishop Sylvester Horton Rosecrans Marker
of Columbus was created in 1868, he became its first bishop. There he founded St. Aloysius Seminary, established a newspaper, fostered temperance societies, and built St. Joseph's cathedral, which his brother W.S. Rosecrans helped to design. He died in 1878, on the day following the dedication of his new cathedral.
 
Erected 2001 by Licking/Knox Roman Catholic Vicariate, Catholic Record Society, Homer Historical Society, Granville Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.132′ N, 82° 31.527′ W. Marker is in Homer, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is at the intersection of Homer Road and South Street, on the left when traveling west on Homer Road. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Homer Public Library. Marker is in this post office area: Homer OH 43027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Victoria Claflin-Woodhull-Martin / First Woman Candidate for President of the United States (here, next to this marker); Homer Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Rosecrans and First Woman Candidate For President Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. Rosecrans and First Woman Candidate For President Markers
Across from the Homer Cemetery.
The Hufford House (approx. 4 miles away); Brandon World War II Honor Roll (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ice Harvesting (approx. 5.1 miles away); "Ye Olde Mill" (approx. 5.1 miles away); Ohio Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); Knox County Poor Farm / Knox County Infirmary (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Homer.
 
Also see . . .  General Rosecrans. Called by his men "Old Rosy." (Submitted on October 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Adena mound in immediate vicinity
To the south and east of this historical marker, on private property, sits a prehistoric earthen mound about 15 feet high, made by the Adena culture. In the early 20th century, William C. Mills of the Ohio Historical Society considered this to be one of the most important conical mounds in the North Fork valley, according the Indian Mounds of the Middle Ohio Valley. That it remains in any condition is significant, as so many of these structures
Location of the Adena mound relative to the library image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 29, 2009
4. Location of the Adena mound relative to the library
were destroyed by agriculture and construction.

This mound is known as the the Dixon Mound, but has also been known as the Williamson Mound.
    — Submitted March 30, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.MilitaryWar, US Civil
 
Dixon Mound (also known as the Williamson Mound) image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 29, 2009
5. Dixon Mound (also known as the Williamson Mound)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,732 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   4, 5. submitted on March 30, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement