Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Chamber of Commerce Building
During the 19th and early 20th centuries, Baltimore was the nation's leading exporter of flour and cereal grains. Until the 1850s, Baltimore's grain trading took place in merchants' offices or at Bowley's Wharf at the Inner Harbor. In February 1853, Baltimore's grain merchants organized the Baltimore Corn and Flour Exchange.
The exchange opened their first headquarters and trading hall at this site in 1882. The Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 greatly decimated the building, and the grain merchants (since 1894 called the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce) decided to rebuild on the same site.
Noted Baltimore architect Charles E. Cassell designed the second chamber of commerce building that stands here today. Masonry vaults and the original building's foundations were reused for
The municipal grain exchange declined over the 1900s as technology and regulations made person-to-person trading unnecessary. The building continued to be used as office space, and later served as a college building.
In 2016 and 2017, the building went through a major rehabilitation and was converted into an extended-stay hotel while retaining major interior features. The exterior of the building was repaired. The interior of the first floor was restored to its original condition, boasting mosaic tile floors and solid copper and brass mail chutes. The original bird-cage elevator cabs have been restored and the mechanism of one of the few functioning hydraulic elevators (circa 1906) has been protected and is on display in the basement.
National Register of Historic Places (Listed 1983)
Baltimore City Landmark (Designated 1986)
Baltimore National Heritage Area
Illustration of the first Chamber of Commerce Building that stood at the corner of Holliday and Second streets from 1882 to 1904.
C.H. Everts, Publisher
Erected by City of Baltimore.
This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.344′ N, 76° 36.604′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Commerce Street south of Holliday Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Commerce Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore Chamber of Commerce (within shouting distance of this marker); Canton House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Garrett Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Gas Street Lamp in America (about 300 feet away); Rembrandt Peale (about 300 feet away); In Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Lovely Lane Meeting House (about 500 feet away); On This Location (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Chamber of Commerce Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on December 9, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.