Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Resting Place of a Founder
James Polk Johnson 1845 - 1885
— Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park —
By 1879 local settlers desired a town in the area. At a Fourth of July celebration on Town Creek they selected James Polk Johnson's land for the site of the new community. Although James did not live to see his goal realized, Johnson City became the Blanco County seat in 1890. Little did he know that the town that bears his name would someday also be known as the hometown of his cousin and 36th President of the United States, Lyndon Baines Johnson.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 30° 16.669′ N, 98° 24.96′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Polk Johnson (here, next to this marker); Blanco County Trail Drives (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. James Odiorne (approx. ¼ mile away); James Polk Johnson Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. ¼ mile away); Blanco County (approx. ¼ mile away); Blanco County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); 1894 Blanco County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Resting Place of a Founder.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.