Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The King Avenue Bridge

A Brief History

 
 
The King Avenue Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. The King Avenue Bridge Marker
Inscription. Around 1863 a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at King Avenue. It was the first roadway to be extended across the Olentangy River.

Although the great flood of 1913 destroyed or damaged numerous bridges, businesses and houses along the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers, the old steel truss at King Avenue crossing had already been demolished and the construction of the cast-in-place arch had begun. The 1913 flood destroyed the false work for the arches before the arch concrete was poured. Subsequently, a fourth arch span was added to the east end of the bridge. The reinforced concrete arch bridge at King Avenue was one of the first bridges of its kind in the State of Ohio.

The design for the 1912 bridge was influenced by three primary criteria. The new bridge had to support 50 ton Trolley cars; resist the worst possible flooding and comply with the 1908 master plan proposal, which grew out of the City Beautiful movement and served as a model for many of the bridges near the City Civic Center.

The 1912 King Avenue Bridge was designed by Wilber Watson and was a four span, earth filled, reinforced concrete, barrel vaulted, elliptical arch. The Contractor was E. Elford and Company.

The King Avenue Bridge 1999
The King Avenue Bridge, completed November 26, 1999,
The King Avenue Bridge 1999 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. The King Avenue Bridge 1999 Marker
is the first precast-post-tensioned, field spliced, segmented arch bridge with an integral post-tensioned, high performance concrete deck.

Franklin County Commissioners:
Dorothy S. Teater Arlene Shoemaker Dewey R. Stokes

County Engineer: John Circle P.E., P.S.
Chief Deputy Engineer: Dean C. Ringle P.E., P.S.
Deputy Engineer-Bridges: Mark D. Sherman P.E.
Consulting Engineer: Eriksson Engineering Ltd. Inc. in association with HNTB Engineers and Architects
Contractor: C.J. Mahan Construction Co.
 
Erected 1999 by Franklin County, Ohio.
 
Location. 39° 59.441′ N, 83° 1.402′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on King Avenue. Touch for map. Both markers are found at both ends of the King Avenue Bridge. Bridge is at the southern boundary of The Ohio State University campus. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Modern Streamflow Measurement in Ohio (a few steps from this marker); NECKO Neighborhood / E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition (approx. 0.3 miles away); Iskcon Krishna House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Neil Avenue Gate
The King Avenue Bridge image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. The King Avenue Bridge
Looking north toward Ohio Stadium and The Ohio State University campus.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.7 miles away); Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Ohio State University (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Ohio Union (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsDisastersGovernment
 
The King Avenue Bridge image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
4. The King Avenue Bridge
Looking east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement