Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Culver City in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

M-G-M Studio

 

— Historic Landmark —

 
M-G-M Studio Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 2, 2018
1. M-G-M Studio Marker
The lower tablet reads, “This historic property has been designated a Landmark Cultural Resource in 1990 by the City of Culver City: Studio colonnade entrance, 10202 Washington Boulevard. Constructed 1915-16.”
Inscription.  On this site in the year 1915 was founded the first motion picture studio in Culver City, built by Thomas H. Ince. In 1919, Samuel Goldwyn succeeded to the title to this and adjoining property for his production company in 1924, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer acquired ownership.

M-G-M Studio stands on 175 acres of ground which was once a part of the vast La Ballona rancho, whose settlement began in the Spanish period of California history.
 
Erected 1967 by Beverly Hills Parlor No. 289, Native Daughters of the Golden West, on July 21st.
 
Location. 34° 1.186′ N, 118° 24.023′ W. Marker is in Culver City, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Jasmine Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Washington Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10202 Washington Blvd, Culver City CA 90232, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Augustine's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Culver Theater (approx. ¼ mile away); American Legion Building
M-G-M Studio Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 2, 2018
2. M-G-M Studio Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Culver City (approx. ¼ mile away); The Hull Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial Building (VMB) (approx. half a mile away); Main Street (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culver City.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry for Sony Picture Studios. Director Thomas H. Ince built his pioneering Inceville studios in Pacific Palisades in 1912. While Ince was filming at Ballona Creek in 1915, Harry Culver, the founding father of Culver City, persuaded Ince to move Inceville to Culver City. During that time, Ince co-founded Triangle Film Corporation and the Triangle Studios was opened in the form of a Greek colonnade—the entrance to the studios. The colonnade still stands fronting Washington Boulevard and is a Culver City historical landmark.”
...
In the Golden Age of Hollywood, MGM Studios was responsible for shooting 52 films a year, from screen epics such as Ben-Hur, and Mutiny on the Bounty, to drawing-room dramas such as Grand Hotel, Dinner At Eight, and Anna Karenina. But it was the Technicolor musicals,
Sony Pictures Studios Colonnade Entrance on Washington Boulevard image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 2, 2018
3. Sony Pictures Studios Colonnade Entrance on Washington Boulevard
including The Wizard of Oz, Singin’ in the Rain and Gigi that MGM was best known for. MGM’s success led to six working studio complexes, more than 180 acres (0.73 km2) including twenty-eight soundstages – Stage 15 is the second largest sound stage in the world, and Stage 27 served as ‘Munchkinland’ in the production of The Wizard of Oz. (Submitted on January 2, 2019.) 
 
Additional keywords. MGM Studios, Triangle Studios, Lorimar Studios, Columbia Studios
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEntertainmentIndustry & Commerce
 
Aerial view of the Goldwyn Studios in Culver City, California, 1918 image. Click for full size.
From the California Historical Society Collection at the University of Southern California, 1918
4. Aerial view of the Goldwyn Studios in Culver City, California, 1918
Photograph of an aerial view of the Goldwyn Studios in Culver City, California, in 1918. The view is to the south. At the bottom of the photograph is the front entrance of the studio known as the Colonnade Building. The Colonnade runs parallel to Washington Boulevard. To the right of the studio buildings is what was known as Lot #2 where sets were constructed for the many films produced at Goldwyn Studios. Samuel Goldwyn purchased the studio from Triangle Studios, the first motion picture studio in Culver City, which was founded by Thomas Ince in 1915. Behind the studios are empty fields, and in the background, low hills.
 

More. Search the internet for M-G-M Studio.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement