Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
James Square was laid out as an open space on land owned by Lt. Col. James Brander, Laird of Pitgaveny It was part of a large improvement plan in the 1830s - streets, houses and harbour - known as Branderburgh. This joined Seatown and Stotfield villages to form modern Lossiemouth.
A hundred years later the Laird was Capt. James Brander Dunbar who had a long dispute with Lossiemouth Town Council about the use of the Square, claiming that it belonged to him. He sent his ploughman and horse to plough up the Square to prove his ownership. In 1932 the matter was amicably settled and the Square was eventually handed over to the Town Council in 1968.
This is the plough that was used - given to the Lossiemouth Heritage Association by Alexander Dunbar of Pitgaveny. 2010
Location. 57° 43.326′ N, 3° 17.033′ W. Marker is in Lossiemouth, Scotland, in Moray. Marker is at the intersection of Queen Street (Scotland Route B9040) and Kinneddar Street, on the right when traveling east on Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lossiemouth, Scotland IV31 6PR, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Markers in James Square (a few steps from this marker); Lossiemouth War Memorial Moray Firth Anchor (approx. 0.3 kilometers away).
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 18 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.