Neihart in Cascade County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Neihart Mining District's Heyday
J. L. Neihart helped discover the district and soon founded the town bearing his name. In 1891, the Belt Mountain branch of the Great Northern Railroad was constructed, connecting Neihart to the Anaconda Company smelter at Great Falls. The line remained in operation until 1945.
Neihart had a fire department, electric company, water company, school, several churches, a mining union, three hotels, fraternal lodges, the Belt Mountain Hospital and two newspapers. At one time, Neihart had fourteen saloons in one block, all of them located on the same side of the street. Respectable stores were located on the opposite side, and ladies never crossed over.
other picture captions:
• Neihart Circa 1900.
• The Barker Mining Company, Neihart, Circa 1900.
• Neihart celebrated Miners Day Parade July 13, 1892. Miners received wages of $3.50 per day for a total annual payroll of $250,000.
• Office of the Silver
Location. 46° 55.99′ N, 110° 44.139′ W. Marker is in Neihart, Montana, in Cascade County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 89) and East Granite Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in a small historical interpretive kiosk at the southwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Neihart MT 59465, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mining Legacy (here, next to this marker); The Ace in the Hole (approx. 11.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, framed interpretive panel, mounted at eye-level in a wooden kiosk.
Also see . . . Neihart, Montana. In July 1881, three prospectors - James LeRoy Neihart, John O'Brien, and Richard Harley - discovered silver near the present-day town of Neihart and established the Queen of the Mountains Mine. In 1882, the town was large enough for the United States Post Office Department to establish a post office there. A road to White Sulphur Springs was constructed shortly thereafter, although ore was packed out by mule to Barker and smelted there. By 1887 most of the richest and easy-to-reach veins of ore had (Submitted on January 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.