Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum

 
 
Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
1. Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum Marker
Inscription. In 1850, this eighty acre tract known as the Kilbourne farm was purchased for use as a cemetery. The “Old Burial Grounds,” located where Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Stadium now stands, had deteriorated and most of those remains were removed to Oak Grove Cemetery. The first internment here was on July 23, 1851. Among those buried here are Moses Byxbe, the founder of the city, the parents of President Rutherford B. Hayes, Ohio Governor Frank B. Willis, Mary Campbell Townley, the only two-time Miss America, fifteen unknown African-American soldiers from the Civil War, and veterans of the American Revolution. When it was opened, Oak Grove was one mile south of Delaware. Today it is a quiet sanctuary of nature; a rolling arboretum surrounded by city. Here, also, is the resting place for more than 20,000 citizens of Delaware.
Dedicated on Memorial Day, May 26, 2008

 
Erected 2008 by Delaware County Historical Society, The Kroger Company, and National City Bank.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio, Delaware County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 17.263′ N, 83° 4.152′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is on Sandusky Street
Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum Entrance and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
2. Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum Entrance and Marker
Looking west.
, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 334 South Sandusky Street, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Delaware (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments (approx. half a mile away); Wesley Branch Rickey (approx. half a mile away); Elliott Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); University Hall and Gray Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesHorticulture & ForestryMilitaryPatriots & PatriotismPoliticsSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 
Delaware Bicentennial Logo image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
3. Delaware Bicentennial Logo
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement