Jasper in Jasper County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jasper County, C. S. A.
Had a Confederate Quartermaster Depot and 9-county headquarters, 2nd Brigade, Texas State Troops, under Gen. W. M. Neyland, local citizen.
County men in service on various war fronts of the South included Co. G, 13th Texas Cavalry; Co. C, 25th Texas Cavalry, Dismounted; Co. E, 27th Texas Cavalry, in Whitfield's Legion.
In 1865, as survivors were returning home, Union occupation troops bivouacked in the Jasper Town Square. Commander was Gen. George Custer, later to go down in history for his "last stand" at the Little Big Horn, 1876. Driving her beautiful horse and carriage, his young bride called on the Jasper ladies.
Erected 1964 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10452.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in the southwest corner of the courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 North Austin Street, Jasper TX 75951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Jasper County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jasper County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle-Jim Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jasper Steers (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.