Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Okeechobee in Okeechobee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tantie School House #14

1909-1916

 
 
Tantie School House #14 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 30, 2018
1. Tantie School House #14 Marker
Inscription.  The first school in the region north of Lake Okeechobee, known as “The Bend,” was a thatched-roof structure built around 1897. Homesteader Peter Raulerson and family did not have enough children old enough to support a school, and were forced to bring in five students from nearby Platt’s Bluff. The children and the first teacher, Dr. George M. Hubbard, boarded with the Raulersons. In 1902, the area was renamed Tantie in honor of another local schoolteacher, Tantie Huckabee. A new one-room schoolhouse was built in 1909 by Peter’s son, Lewis, for the contract price of $500 and located on the west side of Parrott Avenue. The white frame building was designated School #14 by the St. Lucie County School Board and Hubbard became the first teacher of its 36 students. Due to population growth, a one-room addition was built in 1914. A second addition was constructed in 1915, but the school was so crowded by the fall that a tent was set up for the overflow. Construction began in 1916 on the Okeechobee Public School, and classes moved to the new building. Following the purchase of School #14 by the Okeechobee Historical Society, it was relocated
Tantie School House #14 Marker and School image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 30, 2018
2. Tantie School House #14 Marker and School
to this site in 1976. The society restored the building to serve as a museum.
 
Erected 2016 by The Okeechobee Historical Society, Okeechobee County School System, Okeechobee County Board of County Commissioners, Okeechobee Retired Educators Association and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-926.)
 
Location. 27° 15.614′ N, 80° 51.655′ W. Marker is in Okeechobee, Florida, in Okeechobee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 98 and Northwest 18th Street, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 98. School is now the Okeechobee Historical Society Museum. Entrance to the museum property is via NW 18th St. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1850 US-98, Okeechobee FL 34972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Okeechobee County (approx. 2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Okeechobee, Florida (approx. 2.1 miles away); Peter and Louisiana Chandler Raulerson Log Cabin Historic Site (approx. 2˝ miles away); Peter And Louisiana Chandler Raulerson Gravesite (approx. 3.3 miles away); Battle of Okeechobee (approx. 5˝ miles away); Fort Basinger (approx. 13.8 miles away).
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Tantie School House #14 Marker and School image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 30, 2018
3. Tantie School House #14 Marker and School
 

More. Search the internet for Tantie School House #14.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement