Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Charles Carroll was born in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1737. He attended preparatory schools in this country but completed his education in France and England. At the age of 28 he returned home to settle down and his father gave him a large estate near Frederick, Md., known as Carrollton Manor. From then on he became known as 'Charles Carroll of Carrollton.' Although extremely wealthy and risking the loss of all his property, Charles Carroll boldly threw himself into Revolutionary activities. He served in the Continental Congress in 1776-78, and soon after his election was appointed by the Congress along with Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Chase to unsuccessfully seek Canadian support for the Continental cause. He became one of Maryland's first United States Senators serving from 1789 through 1792.
Charles Carroll played an important part in early railroad and canal building in the United States and laid the cornerstone of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1828, at the age of ninety one. Four years later he died, the last survivor of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 34.782′ N, 85° 4.342′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Newnan Street (Georgia Route 166) and Dixie Street, on the right when traveling east on Newnan Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the lawn of the Carroll County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Carrollton GA 30117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Industrial Giants (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Dixie Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carrollton (approx. 0.2 miles away); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8½ miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 10.7 miles away); Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. 11.2 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A marker identifying where Charles Carroll assumed the title “Charles Carroll of Carrollton.”
Also see . . . Signers of the Declaration of Independence - Charles Carroll of Carrollton. (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,023 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.