Fletcher in Henderson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Calvary Episopal Church
Western North Carolina
Organized 1857 - Built 1859
Consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Thos. Atkinson
Bishop of North Carolina
August 21, 1859
During the Civil War this church was used as barracks by Confederate Troops
Erected August 21, 1927, the Anniversary of the Consecration of the Church
Smaller marker, near the base of the stone:
Philip Lafayette Lance
Born October 25, 1852
Died November 26, 1926
"He loved thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills."
Erected in loving memory
by his daughter
Mary Lance Van Every
Location. 35° 26.584′ N, 82° 30.288′ W. Marker is in Fletcher, North Carolina, in Henderson County. Marker is at the intersection of Hendersonville Road (State Highway 25) and Old Calvary Road on Hendersonville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fletcher NC 28732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edgar Wilson Nye (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Edgar Wilson Nye Jefferson Davis (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calvary Church Episcopal (about 400 feet away); William Sydney Porter (about 400 feet away); James Whitcomb Riley (about 400 feet away); Stephen Collins Foster (about 400 feet away); Orren Randolph Smith (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fletcher.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.