Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oakland

Incorporated 1902

 
 
Oakland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 10, 2008
1. Oakland Marker
Inscription. The Lenni Lenape Indians deeded the first land to Dutch colonist Arent Schuyler in 1695. It was then called Yaupough. The “Valley Road” was an important supply artery of the American Revolution. On July 14, 1777, General George Washington headquartered at the Van Allen House. In 1780, then known as “The Ponds,” it served as the seat of Bergen County. The Civil War period saw mostly farms, woolen mills and sawmills. The railroad arrived in 1869.

In commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of Rotary International.
 
Erected 1980 by Rotary International.
 
Location. 41° 1.354′ N, 74° 14.674′ W. Marker is in Oakland, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Ramapo Valley Road (New Jersey Route 202) and Veteran Drive, on the right when traveling south on Ramapo Valley Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland NJ 07436, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dahlgren Gun (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacobus S. Demarest House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hendrik Van Allen House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hendrick Van Allen House
Marker on Ramapo Valley Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 10, 2008
2. Marker on Ramapo Valley Road
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Ackerman-Boyd House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Franklin Avenue (approx. 2 miles away); Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Bartholf Homestead (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker in Oakland, NJ image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 10, 2008
3. Marker in Oakland, NJ
Washington's Headquarters - the Hendrik Van Allen House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 10, 2008
4. Washington's Headquarters - the Hendrik Van Allen House
General George Washington made his Headquarters in this house on July 14-15, 1777, when the Continental Army was traveling from Morristown, New Jersey to Smith’s Clove, New York. It is located about ½ mile north of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement