Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palestine in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Palestine High School

 
 
Palestine High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
1. Palestine High School Marker
Inscription.  A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government. The first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the Institute site on Avenue A.

In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The City Council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels.

The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students.

This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966
Palestine High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
2. Palestine High School Marker
Markers visible in the photo from left to right: Dr. Bonner Frizzell (facing away), Roy B. Wallace (facing forward), Robert (Bob) Knight (facing away), and Palestine High School (facing sideways).
to 1976, when the school was closed. The building was then preserved and rehabilitated as a museum and cultural center.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986

Entered in the National Register of Historic Places - 1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8790.)
 
Location. 31° 45.494′ N, 95° 37.654′ W. Marker is in Palestine, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on South Micheaux Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 South Micheaux Street, Palestine TX 75801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert (Bob) Knight (here, next to this marker); Dr. Bonner Frizzell (here, next to this marker); Roy B. Wallace (a few steps from this marker); John H. Reagan (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John H. Reagan Monument (about 700 feet away); Palestine Salt Works C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anderson County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Micham Main (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palestine.
 
Regarding Palestine High School. The former Palestine High School building now houses the Museum For East Texas Culture.
 
Categories.
Palestine High School image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
3. Palestine High School
Education
 

More. Search the internet for Palestine High School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement