Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockbourne in Pickaway County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal

 
 
Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
1. Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks Marker (side A)
Inscription.
Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks
The Ohio-Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1832 and extended 308 miles from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at Portsmouth. The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio up to that time, the canal gave the state's farmers and merchants much greater access to goods and markets and was instrumental in the young state's rapid growth. Lockbourne was a focal point of activity on the canal with its staircase of eight lift locks (numbered 23 through 30), two canal basins, and junction with the Columbus Feeder. Locke Meadow Park encompasses the remnants of Lock 30 and the Big Walnut Creek guard lock, which prevented flood water from entering the main canal. The Lock Tender's house was located adjacent to Lock 30.

The Columbus Feeder Canal
In order to connect the state capital to the Ohio-Erie Canal and provide a dependable supply of water for this section, engineers began to survey an eleven-mile navigable feeder from the Scioto River in Columbus in 1824. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place in Columbus on April 30, 1827, with the Granville Company receiving the contract for all masonry work in the Lockbourne area on both the main canal and the feeder. The first canal boat arrived in Columbus on September 23, 1831. Boats ascending the Columbus Feeder
The Columbus Feeder Canal Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
2. The Columbus Feeder Canal Marker (side B)
crossed Big Walnut Creek through a slackwater pool above the "state dam," then traversed the lift lock. With a fourteen-foot difference in elevation between Columbus and Lockbourne, the canal required just two lift locks; the other was located four miles below the terminus. The last canal boat left Columbus in 1904.
 
Erected 2000 by Martin Marietta Aggregates, The Lockbourne Heritage Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio and Erie Canal, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 48.551′ N, 82° 58.31′ W. Marker is in Lockbourne, Ohio, in Pickaway County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and Denny Street, on the right when traveling west on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at entrance to Lock Meadows Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lockbourne OH 43137, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lockbourne Veterans' Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Historic Lockbourne (approx. 0.2 miles away); A-7D "Corsair II" (approx. 1.4 miles away); F-84F "Thunderstreak"
Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
3. Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal Marker
(approx. 1.4 miles away); F-100D "Super Sabre" (approx. 1.4 miles away); Captain Eddie Rickenbacker (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tuskegee Airmen (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Borror Family / Borror's Corners (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockbourne.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
 
Ohio and Erie Canal Lock image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
4. Ohio and Erie Canal Lock
In Lock Meadows Park.
Ohio & Erie Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
5. Ohio & Erie Canal Marker
In Lock Meadows Park next to canal lock.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,434 times since then and 228 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement